Skip To Main Content

Parent Letter and Additional Questions

Parent Letter

Schools implementing the 2022-2023 Community Eligibility Provision (CEP):

What does this mean for you and your children attending a participating school?
All enrolled students, at a school that is implementing CEP during the 2022-2023 school year, are eligible to receive a healthy breakfast and lunch at no charge to your household. No further action is required of you. Your child(ren) will be able to participate in the meal programs without having to pay a fee or complete an application.

Why should we fill out an application?
CEP pertains only to meals and does not extend to other educational benefits. Some examples of other educational benefits may include: curricular material (textbook) assistance, test/exam fee reduction or waiver, and eligibility for other discounts or program opportunities. All students must pay curricular material (textbook) fees unless you have been directly qualified  for free curricular materials for the 2022-2023 school year.

Who may receive curricular assistance and other educational benefits?
The following are ways in which children may be approved to receive curricular material and other educational benefits:  

Direct Certification (do not complete a textbook application)- children in households receiving SNAP (Food Stamps) or TANF benefits; foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court; homeless or migrant children identified by the school’s liaison.

Income Qualified (must fill out an application)- households with a gross income that is within the limits of the Federal Income Guidelines.

Federal Eligibility Income Chart for School Year 22-23
Household Size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 25,142 2,096 484
2 33,874 2.823 652
3 42,606 3.551


4 51,338 4.279 988
5 60,070 5,006 1,156
6 68,802 5,734 1,324
7 77,534 6,462 1,492
8 86,266 7,189 1,659
Each additional person: +8732 +728 +168



Additional Questions

1.    My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of the new school year. Contact the school corporation for the appropriate deadline. You must complete a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or if you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price of curricular materials.

2.    Can homeless, runaway, or migrant children get other educational benefits? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free curricular materials. If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions please call Emily Collins, the school’s homeless liaison/migrant coordinator at 765-747-5448 to see if they qualify.

3.    Who do I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (grandparents, other relatives, or friends), who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all of your children who live with you. Do not include other people who live with you who are economically independent.

4.    What if my income is not always the same? List the amount you normally receive. For example, if you normally receive $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only received $900, record $1,000 per month. If you normally receive overtime, include it, but not if you receive it occasionally. If you are a seasonal or a 9, 10, or 11 month employee, list the amount you normally receive. If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

5.    We are in the military, do we report our income differently? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

6.    If my children do not qualify now, may I reapply later? Yes, you may reapply any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible if the household income drops below the income limit.

7.    May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply.

8.    Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to provide written proof of income to verify eligibility.